There are thousands of different kinds of LEDs. Generally, they can be sorted into two distinct categories:
1. LED light bulbs. These bulbs are bought separate from the fixtures and are replaced one-for-one. The average life of an LED light bulb is 25k hours.
2. Integrated LED fixture products. In these products the LED light and the fixture are one unit. The fixture is sealed and contains a thin plate of LED dots. The average life of an integrated LED fixture is 50k-100k hours.
There are three big differences between integrated LED fixtures and standard fixtures with an LED bulb:
1. Maintenance for standard LED bulbs can be rather tedious and costly. With a life two to four times as long as the standard LED bulb, maintenance for an integrated LED fixture is virtually nonexistent.
2. In a fixture with an LED bulb there are certain areas where the light does not get distributed accurately due to the structure of the bulb. Oftentimes large amounts of light get trapped in the roof of the fixture or on the sides, wasting valuable lumens and energy. With an integrated LED module this never happens, because instead of a bulb there is a
plate inside the fixture with little LED dots that distribute light 180 degrees.
3. In standard fixtures with LED bulbs it is easy to see from the outside where the bulbs are located based on where the fixture is most lit up and where there are darker areas. These darker areas, called dead spots, are rather unsightly and can easily ruin the aesthetic of a nice light fixture. Since integrated LED light fixtures are designed with a thin plate of LED dots distributing the light equally inside the fixture, this problem does not arise and the fixture is free of dead spots.
Integrated LED fixtures are becoming especially popular in multifamily buildings. With LED bulbs and a standard fixture, a multifamily building often racks up high maintenance costs associated with caring for and changing old bulbs. In addition, since changing a bulb requires opening the fixture, the building runs the risk of breaking the lens and ruining the fixture. The unsealed fixture is also unsafe since the bulbs inside can easily get stolen. Upgrading to integrated LED fixtures solves all of these problems at once. Since instead of bulbs the integrated LED fixture contains a plate of LED dots that live for years on end, maintenance costs are drastically cut. And since these LED dots don’t require changing, the fixture can’t be opened and thus stays safe and undamaged for years. In addition to those benefits, the structure of an integrated LED fixture allows 180 degree light, ensuring that no lumens are wasted and providing the building with increased light for the same cost. To top it all off, since the integrated LED fixture puts an end to any dead spots the standard fixture and bulbs were creating, the building gets a beautiful property facelift.
Reach out to one of We Green Energy’s knowledgeable and friendly representatives for more information on integrated LED fixtures and for all of your LED needs!